Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes. Serves 4
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper
1 large yellow onion
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
1 411 gm can diced tomatoes
1 400 gm can white beans, drained and rinsed
4 to 6 large eggs
1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro leaves
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Thinly slice the onion and pepper.
2. Set a dry skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat. Add the coriander, cumin, and fennel seeds, then toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Carefully transfer the seeds to a plate to cool, then grind in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
3. Heat the olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion in an even layer, then do not be tempted to stir or fuss with them. Let them get a good, dark char, 3 to 4 minutes, before giving a quick stir and cooking a bit more until nearly all of the pepper and onion are blackened in parts. This process will take about 10 minutes.
4. Add the ground spices, paprika, and salt. Stir for 1 minute before carefully tipping in the tomatoes. Let this mixture come to a simmer before stirring in the white beans. Bring everything to a gently boil, then lower the heat to a steady simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes have thickened. Place in an airtight container or ziplock bag.
5. Carve out a little divot for each of the eggs you plan to cook, then carefully crack them in. Add a bit of salt and black pepper to each egg then cover the skillet with a lid (or sheet pan if you can’t find a matching lid). Cook over low heat until the eggs are just set, 4 to 6 minutes.
6. Chop the cilantro. Finish by garnishing with the fresh herbs and feta. Serve immediately.