These are a healthier version of the biscuits that wives and mothers sent to their husbands and sons serving in the Australian & New Zealand Army Corp (ANZAC) during the First World War. Hence they were given the name Anzac biscuits.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes 14 large biscuits
1 cup large rolled oats
3/4 cup freshly grated coconut
3/4 cup millet flour or buckwheat
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp hot water
- Combine all of the ingredients except the baking soda and hot water in a medium-sized bowl and mix.
- In a cup dissolve the baking soda into the hot water. Add to the mixture.
- Take 1 – 2 heaped tablespoons of dough and form into a large biscuit shape and flatten.
- Bake biscuits for 13 – 15 minutes at 190 C. Let them cool, then enjoy!
- Let them cool, then enjoy!
(Makes approx. 14 large biscuits)